Friday, September 16, 2011

New Class

There has been some changes at my school. Since my teacher is pregnant, the school decided to cut down her class size and add those students to the other 6th* grade class. Jess and I were two of the kids chosen. I was not happy. It was bad enough starting school once, but to have to do it again? Daddy was on my side saying it was not fair that I, the new student, should be forced to join another new class. But parents did not really have a whole lot of say in the matter.

My new teacher is Mr. Brooks and he seems nice enough. He has a mustache and wears tweed jackets. I think he thinks he is older than he is. Here is some of the girls in my class. Fridays are dress-down days which means no uniforms.
Kayla and Jess (back row), Kit and myself (front row)


I thought that since Jess and I were the new kids that maybe we would hang out together. No such luck. Jess hit it off right away with Kayla (KIE-luh). I stayed by Kit during recess and got the run down on how this class, and junior high in general, worked. Apparently there are four social levels among the girls. Kit informed me that I am a "DeeDee", which meant I was on the bottom rung and had the label of being "weird" and "different". Kit is a "Darla" which meant that no one really cared about her. She wouldn't get picked on like a DeeDee, but she wouldn't be allowed to join in the other girls games. Towards the top there are "Danielle's" (average pretty girls) and "Doc's" (popular mean group). Somehow Jess got herself in the latter group already.

 I was one of the first ones inside after recess and saw Kayla at the board writing my name.
The atrocious spelling of my name was bad enough, but Jess was there, too, whispering in Kayla's ear and giggling. Mr. Brooks came in then and Kayla had to erase what she had started. She seemed pleased to see that I had seen what she was trying to do.

I do not know what to make of this 6th grade class. Papa said I do not have much of a choice. It was hard enough for them to get me into this school, they do not want to make trouble by insisting I return to my previous class. I wish Jess was nicer. Kit says I can hang out with her, but we have absolutely nothing in common. I dread for Monday to come.

*Angelica*

*I'm 11 now and in 6th grade

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds rough, Angelica. I'm sorry you had to switch classes, and that Jess is being so mean. It sounds like a tough new school to adjust to.

    I hope things get better, though.

    If not, you could try to talk your dads into moving you up here to be our neighbour! ;-)

    Love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be a Jess thing- the Jess I went to boarding school with was awful, too. She loved to brag, and she was a huge know-it-all. She had everybody (but me and Lilly) fooled- she could play the part of Miss Sweet and Innocent.
    I feel for you...I've been in so many similar situations. I wish you the best!
    Bises,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, that would be neat if we were neighbors! I know you would make a much better neighbor than Jess.

    Sabine, it must be a Jess thing. Adults always think she is so well behaved and a sweetheart, but she is really a moody brat.

    Thank you both for your support and good wishes.

    *Angelica*

    ReplyDelete