Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mac's Birthday

Yesterday was Mac's 13th birthday. I find birthdays to always be bittersweet, whether it is my own or someone else. Mac was excited, I do not think she shares my feelings. Her party was a lot of fun. Her cousins were there and the food was delicious. Except Mac made the mistake of saying "who doesn't love hamburgers?". Daddy is a vegetarian and Mac's dad had to get in a snide comment about that fact. Not to be stereotypical, but her dad is one of those closed-minded, silent cowboy types. I am quite sure Brokeback Mountain is not his favorite movie.

Mac's brothers and sisters made the birthday cake. It was a chocolate pudding cake and oh so rich and moist. The Scarlatti siblings are talented in the baking department. That is something I have loved while staying with them. I also love to bake and it has been a lot of fun to try new recipes for cupcakes and cookies.

After cake and pictures Mac opened her presents. I must be spoiled. I usually get a fair number of presents. Usually one expensive gift and several smaller ones. Mac received a saddle and a bag with "Nicki", the name of her mare, printed on the front. But she did not seem to want for anything else. I do not think I could have picked a family more opposite than my own to stay with.

I was tired by the time the party was over and feeling a little sad. I helped with some of the ranch chores and then went to see Mac. She knew instantly that I was down and let me snuggle in bed with her and Rex. I think she is the most caring out of the Scarlatti family. She has always had a lot of responsibility for her younger siblings and the many baby animals on the ranch.

I was glad she let me sleep in her room that night. To be honest, Cameron's room scares me. He is very into bones and hunting.

*Angelica*

5 comments:

  1. It's too bad Mac's dad has to act that way. He sounds really impolite! (Our younger sister Charissa is a vegetarian, too, so she wouldn't appreciate the comment much either.)

    I'm glad Mac had a nice birthday, and that you two are such good friends. It's good to have someone you can rely on... including when you're freaked out because your room is full of creepy bones and stuff.

    Love,
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special to have Mac there to help you when you are feeling down .. sounds like she is a real friend at heart for you ..

    I am sorry that her dad is such a pain .. it is hard to put up with close-minded people ..

    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments made me smile, Bree. Thank you!

    Mac is a great friend. She is like a big sister to me. I am lucky to have her around.

    *Angelica*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Mac had a nice birthday! Yes, birthdays can definitely be bittersweet, but they're usually okay. That was nice that Mac was there for you when you were feeling down.

    ReplyDelete